Tracfone is one of the largest prepaid mobile service providers in the United States. Thanks to partnerships with major retailers, gas stations and other mobile providers, finding Tracfone time cards and devices is easy nearly anywhere in the US. Offering coverage on all four major US networks, they also offer unrivaled coverage--even amongst postpaid carriers.
Tracfone offers both prepaid bundles and PAYG plans. Prepaid bundles range between $15 per month and $125 per year. All PAYG top offs are good for 90 days and range between $19.99 and $79.99.
If you need a phone, this carrier has a great roster of options ranging from the latest flagships to basic, budget-friendly phones. They also offer phone financing if you prefer to avoid upfront costs. Want to bring your phone to Tracfone? They support most unlocked GSM phones--including those from Sprint, Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile.
- In-Store Access: If you’re looking to avoid the costs of major carriers, you’re often left without a way to walk into a store to pick up devices, accessories or phone time. As one of the oldest prepaid carriers in the US, there’s a good chance you can find a retail location selling Tracfone devices or time cards within a few minutes of wherever you area.
- Bring Your Own Device: Until just a few years ago, using Tracfone meant dealing with locked phones and budget devices. Today, you can use Tracfone with most unlocked smartphones by swapping in a Tracfone SIM.
- Good Device Selection: Many prepaid providers leave you choosing between a list of phones you’ve never heard of. Tracfone offers popular flagships along with an assortment of budget-friendly options to ensure a perfect phone for your needs.
Awards and Recognitions
As Tracfone doesn’t manage any of its own networks, it tends be overlooked by the typical mobile ratings and awards groups. However, online forums and reviews for the service are positive--particularly for those looking for low prices or prepaid options for emergency or casual use.
They currently have an A+ rating and accreditation through the Better Business Bureau with 4337 complaints closed in the last 3 years.
Tracfone ranked last in the Non-Contract category for J.D. Power's "U.S. Wireless Customer Care Study Vol. 1 (2017)".
How’s the Network Coverage and Speed?
Offering an accurate summary of coverage or speed with this carrier is difficult. This is because they use the networks of all 4 major carriers. Depending on your device and region, you might even bounce between a few networks.
We recommend checking the summaries for the individual carriers to get an idea of what speeds to expect. You can use the links below!
For more information about coverage and networks in your area, be sure to check out their Coverage Map.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
Thanks to the ability to use the networks of every major carrier in the U.S. roaming isn’t a concern with this carrier for calls from the U.S.
However, international roaming is not possible with Tracfone. If you’re using an unlocked phone, you should be able to swap in a prepaid SIM from a carrier at your destination or pick up a travel SIM before your trip.
What About Long Distance Fees?
All Tracfone plans include calling to any number in the U.S.
If you need to place calls to another country, you’ll find a few options available:
- Tracfone International Long Distance: Using a special number, you can call more than 100 global destinations for the same price as a local call. The feature is included with all plans. For more information, consult their Basic International FAQ.
- $10 Global Calling Card: These cards carry over from month to month and provide affordable rates to popular destinations around the world. Rates start at $0.01 per minute. You can add as many cards as you need to your line of service each month.
For more information on international long distance options, consult their International Calling page.
Does Tracfone Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes. If you have a supporting phone, they allow calling over Wi-Fi at no additional charge. They do not currently offer an app for Wi-Fi calling on non-supported phones.
To use wi-fi calling, you'll need to add an e911 address to your account at their What is Wi-Fi Calling page.
Not sure if your phone is compatible? Contact TracFone for support.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Can I Tether My Phone?
No, you cannot tether on Tracfone plans.
The Terms and Conditions state:
“Devices capable only of using data are strictly prohibited and Your use of any such device is grounds for immediate termination of Service without a refund.”
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
The expiration date on data added to your account depends on the top-off used. Monthly value plans and bundles do not include data rollover. However, long-term top off cards allow you to roll over unused data for up to 12 months.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
As Tracfone uses top-off cards to add features and services to your account, there are not add-ons or bundles available.
Can I Bring My Own Device?
Yes! The carrier supports unlocked GSM and CDMA phones. You will need an activation kit--available both in-store and online.
For more information on bringing your own device--or to start the process online--refer to their Bring Your Own Phone page.
What About Activation and SIM Fees?
Tracfone does not charge activation fees.
If you bring your own phone or tablet, you'll also need a Tracfone SIM.
SIM kits are available for $0.99 through their online store and at major retailers.
NOTE: Fees often differ between retail stores and websites. Be sure to check both before signing up or adding a line to your account to maximize savings.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
No! You can leave the service at any time by not renewing your monthly card or by cancelling your auto-refill.
If you financed your device, you should contact the financing company prior to cancelling to check for any fees they might charge.
Can I Port My Number To or From Tracfone?
Yes! They follow all Wireless Number Portability requirements. If they have coverage in the area you’re transferring from and the account you wish to transfer your number from is active and in good standing, you should have no problems.
They recommend starting the process through their Porting Tool.
To complete the process, you will need:
- The phone number you wish to transfer
- The account number the phone number is on
- The name of the account holder
- The billing address on the account
- The PIN or security password on the account
According to their site, the process can take anywhere from a few hours to 30 days depending on the carrier.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Yes! For current or former customers, unlocking is free. Non-former customers might pay a small fee.
General requirements include:
- The phone you wish to unlock must be active on the network for 12 months prior to unlocking and maintained service throughout those 12 months.
- The phone must not be reported lost or stolen
For additional details on unlocking requirements and the process involved, check their Terms and Conditions.
You cannot unlock many Tracfone phones released before 2015. If you cannot unlock your Tracfone, they will allow you to trade in your phone toward the purchase of a new Tracfone phone or provide the trade in value as a refund.
For additional questions about pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our Tracfone Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.