Boost Mobile offers 4G LTE service using the Sprint network. While network coverage isn’t as vast or speeds as fast as other major carriers, their pricing is some of the lowest available. Unlimited music streaming and multi-line discounts increase the value further.
All Boost Mobile plans are prepaid and contract free. Single line plans range between $30 and $70 per month. Multi-line family plans make it possible to enjoy up to 5 lines for only $150 per month.
Bring your own phone support is lacking. In most cases, you’ll need one of the latest flagships from Verizon or Sprint. However, they offer a nice selection of phones for upfront purchase as well. Device financing is not available.
- Unlimited Music Streaming: Stream your favorite tracks from iHeart Radio, Spotify, Pandora, Napster, 8tracks and Slacker Radio without worrying about your data. Feature included on all 4G data plans.
- Unlimited Data: Quit counting gigabytes and use your phone where you want, how you want. Video quality and gaming is throttled. However, for $20 per month, you can remove these limitations streaming and gaming in HD.
- BoostTV: Enjoy your favorite tv shows, news and sporting events from broadcast channels on your phone. Multiple packages make it easy to find a channel selection that fits your tastes.
- Boost Dealz: Install the Boost Dealz app and view ads on your unlock screen to earn a $5 account credit each month toward your bill. The feature is only supported on Android devices.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked #5 in the Non-Contract category of J.D. Power's "U.S. Wireless Customer Care Study Vol. 1 (2017)".
- Ranked #2 for download speeds in PC Magazine’s 2016 “Fastest Mobile Network” study
- Ranked #2 in J.D. Power’s 2016 “U.S. Wireless Network Quality Performance Study Volume 2” in the West, Southwest, Northeast and Southeast regions
- Rated A- with the Better Business Bureau with 28,914 complaints closed in the last 3 years
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
Boost Mobile uses Sprint’s 4G LTE network to deliver service. While coverage isn’t as good as other major carriers, Sprint offers good signals in many of America’s major cities and urban centers. Major network weaknesses include the Northwest and Midwest regions of the US.
Data from OpenSignal breaks down Boost Mobile network types as follows:
- 72% LTE (4G)
- 18% eHRPD (3G)
- 10% EVDO-A (3G)
You can check coverage and network types in your area on their coverage map.
Gathering data from their mobile app, OpenSignal shows that transfer speeds on this network are slower than those on the other main carriers. 4G download speeds averaged 6.3Mbits per second and 4G uploads are at 3.4Mbits per second. 3G speeds are significantly slower at 0.5Mbits per second downloading and 0.6Mbits per second uploading.
Data from PC Magazine’s 2016 study “Fastest Mobile Networks” shows speedier numbers. 4G download speeds in their nationwide test averaged 20.58Mbits per second while uploads clocked in at 6.9Mbits per second--the slowest of the four major carriers.
Findings from Ookla’s United States “SpeedTest Market Report” sit in the middle with 4G download speeds averaging 15.04Mbits per second and uploads toddling along at 4.7Mbits per second.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
All Boost Mobile plans include coast-to-coast voice and data service. In most cases, Boost Mobile phones do not support international roaming. This is due to the difference in network technologies used on Boost Mobile phones.
However, if you’re traveling to Mexico, their $5 Todo Mexico Plus plan offers 1.5 to 8GB of 4G LTE data, plus unlimited calling and texting using your monthly allotment for $5 per month.
What About Long Distance Fees?
All plans include calls to US landlines and mobile at no additional charge. For calls outside the US, rates vary by destination. However, they offer a number of add-ons to help manage long distance fees.
- Todo Mexico Plus: Enjoy unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico using your monthly allotment for $5.
- International Connect Plus: Enjoy unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico, unlimited international texting, unlimited calling to landlines in 70 countries, 200 minutes to mobiles in more than 50 countries and reduced rates to 200 countries around the globe for $10 per month.
- International Minute Packs: Purchase minutes to specific countries starting at $3 per bundle. Minutes expire after 90 days if unused.
For additional information on international rates and add-ons, consult Boost Mobile’s International Services page.
Does Boost Mobile Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
No. Boost Mobile does not support native Wi-Fi calling or offer a Wi-Fi calling app.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Can I Tether My Phone?
Yes! Tethering on plans with limited comes out of your monthly allotment. For unlimited data plans, tethering is limited to 8GB per month.
You can find out more about tethering and instructions for using the feature on your phone in Boost Mobile’s Frequently Asked Questions.
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
No. None of the current Boost Mobile plans include data rollover.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
On top of the calling, roaming and data add-ons already mentioned, they offer a few add-ons and top off options to help you get the most from your phone.
Popular options include:
- Phone Insurance: For $7 per month, you can enjoy peace of mind for phone damage, theft or loss.
- CallWatch: For $2 per month, you can unlock advanced call screening filters that use databases to match calls from telemarketers, scams or unwanted callers.
- Data Add-Ons: Add up to 2GB to your monthly data allotment for $5 per GB.
- BoostTV: Watch your favorite channels and shows using your phone starting at $10 per month.
Can I Bring My Own Device?
Yes! However, the list of supported devices is small. At the time of writing, support includes specific models of the 5, 6 and 7-series iPhones and the Galaxy S7 Special Edition.
For additional information, consult their Bring Your Own Phone FAQ.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
No! As a prepaid provider, Boost Mobile offers service without credit worries or hefty deposits.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
No! Service is on a month-to-month basis. You’re free to switch carriers at any time.
Can I Port My Number To or From Boost Mobile?
Yes! They support number porting anywhere where Wireless Local Number Portability is in effect.
Requirements for porting your number include:
- The account you wish to transfer your number from must be active and in good standing
- You must know the name and address on the account
- You must know the account number
- You must provide the last 4 digits of the social security number of the account holder or a corresponding Tax ID
You may also need to know the password or security question for the previous account.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Yes--with limitations. For most devices created after February 2015, Boost Mobile automatically unlocks the phone upon meeting the terms of your contract or finance agreement. However, due to the frequencies used by Boost Mobile, many Boost Mobile-locked phones have trouble operating on other carriers.
You’ll find a full listing of requirements on their Unlocking Policy page.
For additional questions about pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our Boost Mobile Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.