What You Need to Know
As a sub-brand of Telus, Koodo Mobile offers the coverage and speed of the Telus network with prices lower than those of many comparable Telus offerings. In operation since 2008, the carrier directly competes with Virgin, Fido, Wind and other discount carriers.
Koodo offers both prepaid and postpaid services. Postpaid plans currently range from $25 to $129 per month. Prepaid plans currently range from $15 to $50 per month. All plans include unlimited messaging.
If you need a phone, the Tab program provides phone financing. Want to bring your own? Koodo supports most unlocked 4G/HSPA phones.
- No-contract plans available
- Bring your own device plans
- No-interest phone financing
- Unlimited messaging
- Canada-wide calling on most plans
- Long hold times for phone customer service
- Charges for common customer service issues over the phone
Koodoo Tab: Interest-free device financing makes it easy to upgrade and stay up to date with mobile trends.
Koodo Shock-Free Data: New plans include the Shock-Free Data feature that sends notifications when you hit 50%, 90% and 100% of your data allowance. When you’ve used your allotment, data service is paused allowing you to choose to pay more for additional data or wait until the next month. No data fee surprises!
Awards and Recognitions
- Telus network ranked #2 in Tutela's 2018 "Mobile Experience Report"
- Ranked #2 in J.D. Power's "Canadian Wireless Customer Care Study (2017)"
- Ranked #1 in the 2016 J.D. Power’s "Canadian Wireless Customer Care Study" surveying 5,550 wireless customers
- Ranked #1 in customer satisfaction in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 J.D. Power’s "Canadian Wireless Total Ownership Experience Study"
- Ranked #1 in purchase experience satisfaction in the 2017 and 2018 J.D. Power’s "Canadian Wireless Purchase Experience Study"
- Ranked #3 in purchase experience satisfaction in the 2016 J.D. Power’s "Canadian Wireless Purchase Experience Study"
- Koodo current has a b- rating with the Better Business Bureau with 150 complaints closed in the past 3 years.
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
Koodo claims that their coast-to-coast 4G network--the same network as Telus--covers 99% of Canada’s population.
You can check coverage and network types in your area at the Koodo support page.
Notable considerations include:
- Local numbers are not available in the Northwest Territories, Yukon or Nunavut.
- CDMA devices are not supported for prepaid service
- CDMA devices are not supported in Manitoba
- Usage in Manitoba is limited to half of your monthly allotment of voice minutes, data and SMS messages.
Telus' network ranked second for download speeds in both the 4G and 3G network categories in Tutela's 2018 "Mobile Experience Report", tests showed an average speed of 15.68Mbits/sec for 4G downloads and 5.30Mbits/sec for 3G downloads. Uploads speeds averaged 8.70Mbits/sec across both 4G and 3G networks.In the 2015 study “Fastest Mobile Networks in Canada” by PC Magazine, the speeds of the Telus network (the network that Koodo uses) ranked third. Average national LTE download speed measured at 32.5Mbits/sec. Average national LTE upload speed measured at 12.9Mbits/sec.
Additional data from OpenSignal shows an average 4G LTE download speed for 18.1Mbits/sec and average 3G download speed of 3.2Mbits/sec. Upload speed was not tested.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
For the majority of Koodo plans, you’ll never pay roaming charges inside Canada.
However, traveling to the US or abroad, you have the option of purchasing an Easy Roam add-on or using pay-as-you-go international rates.
Easy Roam packs allow you to use your existing plan for $8 to $12 per day depending on your destination.
You can also use pay-as-you-go rates, which are outlined on their Standard Rates page.
What About Long Distance Fees?
For most Koodo plans, calling anywhere in Canada is included in your monthly minute allotment.
For international calls, you’ll pay an additional 50 cents per minute. If you use all of your Anytime Minutes, calls will be billed at the normal per-minute rate plus the added 50 cents per minute.
Planning to place frequent international calls? Koodo has two options to help!
- International Long Distance Saver: For $3 per month, you can place calls to Austrailia, France, India, U.K., China, Hong Kong, Germany, U.S. and Mexico for 5 cents per minute. Calls to Pakistan cost 10 cents per minute. Calls to the Philippines cost 15 cents per minute.
- Country-Specific Calling Plans: Unlimited calling to the U.S., China, Hong Kong, France and the U.K. are available for $10 to $20 per month. A 1000-minute India calling plan is available for $20 per month as well. If you exceed your monthly allotment, a long distance fee of 2 cents per minute applies.
You can find more about specific calling rates and options on the Koodo support page.
Does Koodo Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes. There are no additional fees for Wi-Fi calling and usage comes from your plan allotment of minutes.
For additional information about supported devices and using the feature, consult their Wi-Fi Calling Help page.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Yes. There are no additional fees for Wi-Fi calling and usage comes from your plan allotment of minutes.
For additional information about supported devices and using the feature, consult their VoLTE Help page.
Can I Tether My Mobile?
Koodo does not charge to enable tethering. Keep in mind, however, that any data used by tethered devices will go against your data allotment for the month. In many cases, tethering a laptop, gaming console or another non-mobile device will result in increased data usage.
Do They Offer Data Rollover?
Koodo’s postpaid services do not offer data rollover. However, if you purchase data add-ons for the prepaid service, they will not expire as long as you pay your monthly service charge. This allows you to rollover data from month to month until it is used.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
Koodo offers a variety of add-ons to complement the caller ID and voicemail included with every plan. We’ve already covered a few of the add-ons in the long distance and roaming sections above.
Other add-ons include:
- $2 per month for iPhone visual voicemail
- $3 per month for call forwarding
- $10 per month for unlimited incoming calls
- $20 per month for unlimited anytime minutes
If you stop by a Koodo store or authorized dealer you can also add phone protection to your phones with costs ranging from $7 to $9 per month.
Prepaid plans also include a number of top-ups and add-ons for adding minutes to your monthly allotment.
- Canada-wide minute add-ons range from $5 for 25 minutes to $25 for 500 minutes.
- Data add-ons range from $10 for 100MB to $30 for 1GB.
As mentioned in the rollover section, any unused prepaid add-on minutes or data carry over from month to month as long you continue to pay your monthly fee.
Do They Offer Bring Your Own Device/Sim-Only Plans?
Yes! Most carrier-unlocked 4G/HSPA phones will work on the Koodo network. Koodo offers a phone checking tool on their support page to verify compatibility.
Plans start at $25 per month.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
Prepaid services through this carrier do not require credit checks. However, credit checks are required for all new post-paid customers.
Items needed include 1 of the following:
- Canadian Driver's Licence
- Canadian SIN Card or Letter
- Canadian Credit Card
Plus 1 of the following:
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License (Not applicable if used as one of the items above)
- Valid Canadian or Foreign Passport
- Work Visa
- Department of Defense ID
- Permanent Resident Card
- Native Indian Status Card
- CNIB Card
- Valid, Government-Issued Provincial/Territorial Photo ID
- Possession and Acquisition License (PAL)
NOTE: Credit checks from carriers that pull your credit bureau report may impact your credit score. If you're not sure the best options for your credit profile, we suggest contacting the carrier directly before attempting to obtain service.
For more information on credit check requirements, consult Koodo's prepaid and postpaid FAQs.
What About Activation and SIM Fees?
Koodo charges a $50 activation fees for all new lines of service. However, they note that they will skip the fee if you order online.
To bring your own phone or tablet, you'll also need a Koodo SIM.
SIM kits are available for $5 through their online store.
NOTE: Fees often differ between retail stores and websites. Be sure to check both before signing up or adding a line to your account to maximize savings.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
Since Koodo doesn’t do contracts, there’s not an early termination fee to worry about. If you purchased a device through the Tab program, any remaining balance on your Tab is billed immediately upon service cancellation.
Can I Port My Number To or From Koodo?
If you’re looking to keep your number when moving to or from Koodo, you’ll need to meet a few requirements.
- The number you wish to port must be active
- Koodo must offer service in the area the number is from
- Number portability must be available in the area the number is from
You can check number portability for your number on the Koodo support page.
If your number is eligible, you can perform most steps through the Koodo Self Serve portal or at your local Koodo store. Help is available over the phone as well. However, you’ll likely incur a $10 charge that is easily avoided using the other methods.
Will Koodo Unlock My Phone?
Yes! According to CRTC Wireless Code regulations effective December 2017, they must unlock your phone free of charge upon request.
You must meet the following criteria:
- Your account must be active and in good standing
- If you have a balance on your Tab program, you must have active service for at least 90 days before unlocking
To unlock your phone: Dial #611 from your Koodo phone or call 1-866-99-KOODO.
For additional questions about Koodo pricing, features, and coverage, be sure to check out our own Koodo Q&A Forum. It's filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.
Voice network: HSPA 800 / 1900 MHz, LTE 1700/2100 MHz (AWS) / 1900 / 700 / 850 MHz
Data network: HSPA, LTE
60 St Clair Ave E, Suite 400 Toronto, ON M4T 1N5
(*611 from your cell)
Official Website, Facebook, Twitter, Coverage Maps, Manage Your Account
Review Sources and Citations
Use this product?
Help inform others by sharing your experience with Koodo Mobile