What You Need to Know
Known for its affordable international rates, Lycamobile also offers plans for mobile calling within the UK. Using O2’s network to provide services, they offer 4G on their tariffs at no additional charge. If you frequently call or travel abroad, Lycamobile might be the best deal for you.
Lycamobile offers both prepaid bundles and pay-as-you-go (PAYG) service. Bundles range between £1.90 and £30 depending on the countries you need to call.
As a SIM-only network, you’ll need to bring your own device. Support for 3G and 4G phones makes finding a compatible device easy. There’s also data-only bundles if you want a low-cost data connection for your tablet.
- Great international rates
- No-contract tariffs available
- 4G access
- PAYG bundles available
- Huge variety of tariff options
- Unlimited international calling plan
- No unlimited data options
- Questionable EU roaming policies
- Below average value for UK calling
- No phone financing
- Uses the O2 network, ranked last for Overal Download Speeds in OpenSignal's "State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017)"
- Country-Specific International Plans: If you call a single country often, you’ll likely find the best mobile rates with Lycamobile.
- Massive Number of Options: Lycamobile has the largest number of individual tariff options among UK carriers. Frequent promotions and incentives add extra value to their service.
- Free Roaming Tariff: Enjoy your holiday without worrying about roaming fees in 18 popular destinations as part of your monthly tariff.
Awards and Recognitions
- Uses the O2 Network, #2 in 4G Availability in OpenSignal's "State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017) report
- Uses the O2 Network, #4 in Ookla’s 2016 Speedtest Market Report UK for both upload and download speeds
- Uses the O2 Network, #4 in overall download speeds in OpenSignal’s 2016 UK State of the Mobile Network report
- Uses the O2 Network, #4 in 3G download speeds in OpenSignal’s 2016 UK State of the Mobile Network report
- Uses the O2 Network, #4 for 4G download and upload speeds in Ofcom’s 2016 Smartphone Cities report
- Uses the O2 Network, #4 in 3G download speeds in Ofcom’s 2016 Smartphone Cities report
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
Lycamobile offers discounted access to the O2 network. Their 3G network covers 98% of the UK population. Their 4G network covers 78%. If you’re near a major UK city, you should have no problem finding 4G or 4G LTE service.
You can check coverage and network types in your area at their support page.
In the 2016 “Speedtest Market Report UK”, O2 ranked fourth for both upload and download speeds. Uploads averaged 8 Mbits per second while downloads averaged 16 Mbits per second.
OpenSignal’s 2016 “State of the Mobile Network UK” and "State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017) " reports shows average 4G download speeds of 16 Mbits per second and 3G download speeds of 4 Mbits per second.
Finally, Ofcom’s 2016 “Smartphone Cities” report shows overall download speeds across 8 of the UK’s major cities averaging 13 Mbits per second.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
Lycamobile's roaming rates are currently rather odd. While PAYG rates are the same in most EU countries as they are in the UK, they say, "Please note that you will no longer be able to use bundle allowances while roaming."
They also appear to have removed their various roaming-inclusive bundles for destinations around the world.
We're not sure how this lines up with the recent Digital Single Market rules enacted by the European Commission.
For roaming fees on other tariffs, you can use their roaming rate search tool.
What About Long Distance Fees?
Long distance fees will vary based on your tariff.
If you call abroad often, you’ll likely save money over PAYG rates with an international bundle. Options range between £9.9 and £30 depending on the number of minutes you need. You can find options at their International Bundles page.
Calling a single destination? Lycamobile offers plans to specific countries as well. You can find options at their Your Country page.
Does Lycamobile Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
No. Lycamobile does not support native Wi-Fi calling or offer a Wi-Fi calling app.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Can I Tether My Mobile?
No. Lycamobile does not officially support tethering with their tariffs. Reports online are hit-or-miss on success. Many sites also mention Lycamobile reserving the right to terminate service if tethering is detected.
However, at the time of writing, this is not mentioned in their Terms and Conditions.
NOTE: Tethering with a laptop or gaming console will often result in more data use than using your phone. If you have a tariff with a small data bucket, monitor your tethering usage to avoid unwanted surprises.
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
No. Data rollover is not offered on any Lycamobile tariff.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
With the sheer number of tariffs available, you can easily find an option to suit your needs. However, if you need to customize your tariff further, they also offer a massive list of add-ons.
Popular options include:
- Roaming Data: Add 60MB to 1GB of roaming data to your tariff for £1.99 to £49.
- UK Minutes: Add 100 to 500 UK minutes to your tariff for £3 to £7.
- UK Text Messages: Add 100 to 500 UK text messages to your tariff for £3 to £7.
For a full list of Add-On options, consult their Bolt-Ons page.
Can I Bring My Own Mobile?
Sure! As a SIM-only provider, you’ll need an unlocked phone or tablet to use Lycamobile’s service.
You’ll find a full list of PAYG bundles and mobile data plans on their Bundles page.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
No! As all plans are bundles using PAYG credits, you can enjoy service through Lycamobile without the need for a credit check.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
As a prepaid and PAYG provider, there’s no need for term contracts and no worries about early termination fees.
Can I Port My Number To or From Lycamobile?
All mobile networks in the UK must provide a PAC Code upon request. Giving this code to a new network will allow you to transfer your number.
To port your number to or from Lycamobile, contact customer support and request your PAC code. They must deliver your PAC code within 2 hours of your request.
To receive your PAC code:
- The account you are trying to transfer from must remain open.
- You must be able to verify your identity through either personal documents or payment history
Once you receive your code, contact Lycamobile or your new network and give them the code. In most cases, your number will transfer within 1 to 2 business days. Be sure to complete this process quickly, as PAC codes expire 30 days from the date they are issued.
Will They Unlock My Mobile?
Lycamobile does not sell mobile devices. For instructions on unlocking a mobile from your previous network, consult our network summaries.
For other questions about pricing, features andcoverage, be sure to check our Lycamobile Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's definitely appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.
Voice network: GSM 900 / 1800 MHz
Data network: UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA+, LTE
3rd Floor Walbrook Building, 195 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SG
0207 132 0322 (or 322 from your cell)
Review Sources and Citations
Use this product?
Help inform others by sharing your experience with Lycamobile UK