What You Need to Know
ASDA Mobile offers service in the UK using the networks of EE. They claim their network covers 99% of the population. As of April 2017, they now offer 4G access along with their affordable rates. Even better, there's still no credit checks! This makes them an ideal option for those looking for a budget-friendly service.
ASDA Mobile offers pay-as-you-go (PAYG) service and bundles. These bundles range between £5 and £20 per month. All tariffs are SIM-only. ASDA Mobile does not sell or finance phones. However, they support a wide range of unlocked handsets.
- Affordable bundles
- Unlimited talk and text bundle
- Great coverage
- Decent PAYG rates
- Recently added 4G access (April 2017)
- Customer service concerns
- Must bring your own phone
- Largest data tariff is 6GB
Awards and Recognitions
- Uses the EE network, ranked highest for 4G download speeds, overall download speeds, overall latency and 4G availability in OpenSignal's "State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017)".
- Uses the EE network, awarded lowest latency among major networks in OpenSignal’s 2016 "UK State of the Mobile Network" report for 3G coverage areas
- Which? recommended provider in 2016
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
ASDA Mobile uses the EE network. According to ASDA Mobile, their 3G network covers 99% of the UK with 97% percent coverage on the 4G network.
You can check coverage and network types in your area at their support page.
OpenSignal's April 2017 "State of Mobile Networks: UK" report shows 3G download speeds of 6Mbits per second and 4G download speeds of 32Mbits per second.
While 3G speeds stayed the same as last year, ASDA Mobile's addition of 4G service greatly boosted their overall speed ranking for 2017.
Ookla's 2016 "Speedtest Market Report UK" also ranked EE's network #1 with downloads averaging 33Mbits per second and uploads coming in at 12Mbits per second.
Lastly, Ofcom measured speeds in 8 of the UK's major cities and found download speeds on the 4G network averaging 32Mbits per second.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
You can use your existing 30-day bundle in 48 countries within the EU. However, 4G access is not available.
Pay-as-you-go rates are the same as their UK rates at 8p per minute for voice calls, 4p per text and 5p per MB of data.
Usage is limited to 50% of your total time used across a 4-month period.
Should you exceed this usage, ASDA Mobile can restrict roaming on your account.
If you’re travelling outside of the UK and EU, you’ll pay roaming fees for talking, using data or texting.
Roaming fees for common features include:
- US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand: 87p to £1.20 per minute
- Rest of the World: £1.49 per minute
- US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand: 87p per minute
- Rest of the World: £1.49 per minute
- US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand: 40p/25p
- Rest of the World: 40p/25p
- US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand: 20p/Free
- Rest of the World: 20p/Free
- US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand: £7.50 per MB
- Rest of the World: £7.50 per MB
To check the fees for a particular country, consult ASDA Mobile’s Roaming Rates page.
What About Long Distance Fees?
All ASDA Mobile plans include calling to mobiles and landlines in the UK with your monthly minute balance.
For calls outside the UK, it will depend on your destination.
- Calls to the EU, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are 25p per minute.
- Calls to the rest of the world are £1.20 per minute.
- SMS and MMS messages are 20p and 25p regardless of the international destination.
For more information, consult their Rates and Services page.
Does ASDA Mobile Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
No. ASDA Mobile does not support native Wi-Fi calling or offer a Wi-Fi calling app.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Can I Tether My Mobile?
Yes! ASDA Mobile allows tethering using your data allowance at no additional charge. For full details on activating tethering on your phone, consult their Tethering FAQ page.
NOTE: Tethering with a laptop or gaming console will often result in more data use than using your phone. If you have a tariff with a small data bucket, monitor your tethering usage to avoid unwanted surprises.
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
No. All bundles expire 30 days after activation.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
ASDA Mobile does not include any additional features or bundles outside of their standard PAYG service bundles.
Can I Bring My Own Mobile?
Yes! (In fact, you must bring your own mobile.)
With their latest upgrade to support 4G, there’s a good chance you can bring your unlocked phone to ASDA Mobile.
You’ll find a full list of bundle plans on their Bundles page.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
No! As all service is PAYG, there is no need for a credit check.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
No. With PAYG bundles and no phone purchase options, you can switch from ASDA Mobile without any worry of additional fees.
Can I Port My Number To or From ASDA Mobile?
All mobile networks in the UK must provide a PAC Code upon request. Giving this code to a new network will allow you to transfer your number.
To port your number to or from ASDA Mobile, contact customer support and request your PAC code. They must deliver your PAC code within 2 hours of your request.
To receive your PAC code:
- The account you are trying to transfer from must remain open.
- You must be able to verify your identity through either personal documents or payment history
Once you receive your code, contact ASDA Mobile or your new network and give them the code. In most cases, your number will transfer within 1 to 2 business days. Be sure to complete this process quickly, as PAC codes expire 30 days from the date they are issued.
Will They Unlock My Mobile?
ASDA Mobile does not sell phones through their website. If you purchased a phone from a physical ASDA location, it is already unlocked.
For additional information, consult their Unlock Code (NUC) page.
For other questions about pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our ASDA Mobile Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.
Voice network: GSM 1800 MHz
Data network: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSPA+
Southbank, Great Wilson Street, Leeds, LS11 5AD
0800 079 2732 (or 2732 from your cell)
Review Sources and Citations
Use this product?
Help inform others by sharing your experience with Asda Mobile