Siri, the world famous virtual assistant unleashed by Apple for iOS on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, will be fully integrated into a couple of new cars from General Motors that will be launched some time in early 2013. To be more specific, GM plans to include Siri on its upcoming Chevrolet Spark and Chevrolet Sonic cars with the new "Eyes Free" feature which was first announced by Apple back at this year's WWDC. With Siri in place, the drivers of these upcoming GM vehicles will be able to perform certain tasks like sending text messages and launching apps without having to pick up their devices.
What Else You Need To Know
- A dedicated "Siri" button will be installed in compatible cars in order to help car owners fully enjoy the upcoming "Eyes Free" feature and use voice commands to perform tasks on their devices without taking their hands off the steering wheel.
The move by General Motors to integrate Siri into its lower priced models is certainly a welcome one.- Chris Oldroyd, IMore
This move is much-needed in this time where automotive companies are behind the curve when it comes to catching up with technology.- Charles West, Intomobile
GM first to integrate Siri with new Chevy models
General Motors has announced that it will be the first car maker to integrate Apple's Siri into its vehicles.
- 9to5 Mac
GM first to sport Siri’s ‘Eyes Free’ feature with the Chevy Sonic and Spark starting next year
Eyes Free lets automakers include a button on their automobiles that allows drivers to initiate Siri for sending messages, making calls, setting reminders, launching apps, and accessing a slew of information from inside of the car without picking up the device.
- Apple Insider
GM will be first automaker to use Apple's 'Eyes Free' Siri integration
General Motors on Tuesday announced that it will be integrating Apple's new "Eyes Free" Siri mode in two of its cars early next year, making it the first car maker in the world to implement the technology in a commercial product.
- General Motors set to be the first car manufacturer to integrate Siri into its new cars
- iPhone Download Blog
- GM announces first vehicles with Siri ‘Eyes Free’ integration
- The Loop
- Siri coming soon to Chevy budget cars
- iPhone Hacks
- Siri ‘Eyes Free’ Integration Coming To Chevrolet Spark And Sonic Early Next Year
- Siri Coming to Chevrolet Cars in Early 2013
- Siri Steering Wheel Control Comes to Chevy Spark & Sonic
Apple’s Siri assistant coming to 2 Chevy cars in 2013
Notably, the automaker isn’t adding Apple’s service to any of high-end models just yet, but these two smaller cars, which are aimed at buyers on a budget.
- Phone Arena
General Motors to integrate Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode into 2013 Spark and Sonic
General Motors announced that it will be integrating Apple's Siri voice control system in two of its 2103 models - the Chevy Spark and Sonic LTZ and RS models.
Chevy Cars Getting Siri Support Next Year
Two Chevy cars will be getting Siri integration in 2013, it was announced at the Los Angeles International Auto Show.
- Mobile Syrup
- Two Chevy models to get Siri Eyes Free integration in early 2013
- Everything iCafe
Chevrolet To Bring Siri To Spark and Sonic Drive
In a press release, Chevrolet announced that the Chevrolet Spark (1LT, 2LT) and Sonic LTZ and RS will both feature Siri integration via the Chevrolet MyLink entertainment system.
- iPhone In Canada Blog
- Chevrolet Spark & Sonic To Get Siri Integration Early Next Year
- Apple’s Siri is Heading to Chevy’s 2013 Spark and Sonic
- Into Mobile
GM to put Apple’s Siri in two of its smallest Chevrolet cars
The Siri feature is being branded as “Siri in Eyes Free” mode within its MyLink infotainment system.