In the ongoing legal battle between Samsung and Apple, court documents now reveal the existence of two upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices codenamed "Odyssey" and "Marco." Both are depicted as running on the Qualcomm MSM8960 chipset, which is a powerful dual-core system-on-a-chip currently being used by Microsoft itself to test WP8 software.
The Samsung Marco is said to feature a 4-inch S-AMOLED WVGA touchscreen display and a 5-megapixel main camera. Meanwhile, the Samsung Odyssey is listed as having a 4.65-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display, an 8-megapixel camera and built-in NFC. Both phones will also be LTE-capable and are scheduled to arrive some time in Q4 2012. Apparently, even with all the distractions it has to put up with in court, Samsung isn't about to stop trying to stay on top of its game by putting out new devices.
What Else You Need To Know:
- Samsung is currently involved in a legal dispute with Apple over various patent issues concerning the Galaxy series of tablets and smartphones.
- Windows Phone 8 is the highly-awaited next version of the Windows Phone software, which is currently at version 7.5.
The Samsung Odyssey looks to be the hero device of the two.- Danny Brogan, Pocket-Lint
Samsung planning dual-core 'Odyssey' and 'Marco' Windows Phone 8 devices
Submitted as part of the Apple vs Samsung trial, the documents show that Samsung is planning "Odyssey" and "Marco" Windows Phone 8 handsets.
- Know Your Mobile
- Samsung dual core Marco and Odyssey Windows Phone 8 devices revealed
- Samsung spills details on Odyssey and Marco Windows Phone 8 devices
- Samsung Hub
- Court documents reveal Samsung Odyssey and Marco Windows 8 phones
- WM Power User
New Samsung Windows Phone 8 Devices Info Leaked Via Court Documents
It will also feature the Adreno 225 GPU which delivers eight times the performance of the original Adreno.
- Samsung Unveils Two Windows Phone 8 Devices, “Odyssey” and “Marco”
- Samsung Odyssey and Marco Windows Phone 8 handsets revealed at Apple trial
- Geeky Gadgets
- Samsung Working On Odyssey And Macro Windows Phone 8 Smartphones
- Phone Arena
- Samsung Odyssey and Marco WP8 handsets leak - 4.65" HD AMOLED display, LTE, dual-core Snapdragon S4
- Samsung Odyssey and Marco Windows Phone 8 handsets specifications leak
- Digital Trends
- Samsung Teases its Windows Phone 8 Hardware, the Odyssey and Marco
- Fone Arena
- Samsung working on Odyssey and Marco Windows Phone 8 devices
- Phones Review
- Samsung Odyssey & Marco Windows Phone 8 phones detailed
- GSM Arena
- Samsung reveal plans for two future Windows Phones
- Dual-core Samsung Odyssey and Marco with Windows Phone 8 coming later this year?
- Samsung Planning ‘Odyssey’, ‘Marco’ Windows Phone 8 Devices?
- Mobile Syrup
- Samsung’s WP8 “Odyssey” and “Marco” leak, packs dual-core processors and LTE
- Samsung Odyssey and Marco Windows Phone 8 handsets detailed in court documents
- Samsung Odyssey and Marco revealed as Windows Phone 8 handsets
- WP8-powered Samsung Odyssey and Marco revealed
- Into Mobile
- Samsung working on two dual-core Windows Phone 8 devices – Odyssey and Marco
Samsung to introduce dual-core 'Marco' and 'Odyssey' Windows Phone 8 hardware at launch
It is also marked as supporting NFC, a feature which is currently being marketed on the Nokia Lumia 610. It would seem that OEMs will attempt to include such functionality to further expand on the possibilities of NFC on the Windows Phone platform.
- Samsung court documents show Marco, Odyssey WP8 handsets
- Samsung Dual-Core Windows Phone 8 Devices Revealed in Court Docs