In an interview with Bloomberg, RIM's Thosten Heins reveals that his company's highly-awaited BlackBerry 10 platform can be licensed, prompting speculation that perhaps several non-RIM BlackBerry devices might become available in the future. RIM is currently hard at work in making sure that BlackBerry 10 is ready for mainstream release with its next-generation BlackBerry smartphones. There's no real evidence that RIM will be working with any other companies for hardware yet, but at least it has been confirmed that third-party BlackBerry devices are indeed a possibility.
What Else You Need To Know:
- The release of BlackBerry 10 has been delayed numerous times, and there is currently still no specific date of release.
- RIM recently launched the 4G LTE version of its BlackBerry PlayBook tablet in Canada.
Bloomberg: Research In Motion to license BlackBerry 10
If Research In Motion can find a way to license BlackBerry 10 to a smartphone manufacturer, this would be the first time in the company’s history that an outside company would be able to make a smartphone with a BlackBerry operating system.
- iPhone Download Blog
- RIM confirms plans to license BlackBerry 10 OS to others
RIM confirms BlackBerry 10 'can be licensed' as it enters final stages of testing
This statement is perhaps the most definitive of the many he's given in the past few months, especially because he apparently ties it to the ongoing testing and dispenses with claims that the team needs to "prove" BlackBerry 10.
- Mobile Syrup
- RIM looking outside mobile to license BlackBerry 10, Heins already rocking a BB10 phone
- Fone Arena
- Research In Motion ready to license BlackBerry 10 reports Bloomberg
- BlackBerry 10 in final testing stages and nearly ready for licensing, RIM CEO says
- Venture Beat
RIM could license BlackBerry 10, but will anyone bite?
Will anyone take RIM up on the offer? Previous rumors pointed to interest from Samsung, which before long denied the speculation.
- Geeky Gadgets
- RIM Says BlackBerry 10 Will Soon Be Available For Licensing
- Rivals could release BlackBerry 10 phones before RIM's hit the shops
- The Inquirer
- RIM is ready to license Blackberry 10 in a bid to survive
- Know Your Mobile
- BlackBerry 10 almost ready for license to manufacturers
- RIM's Heins: Anyone Interested in Licensing BlackBerry 10? Anyone? Bueller?
- RIM decides to take on Android Head On – Licensing BB10 like the mobile leader
- RIM CEO: BlackBerry 10 ready for licensing 'soon'