LG announced overwhelming figures for its Optimus L series handsets: one Optimus L handset sold every second in the past two months. The surge in demand has helped the Korean device-maker surpass sales of 15 million L series handsets since releasing them in February last year. Building on that momentum, LG will unveil a new generation of the L series at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain on February 25th to 28th. The new phones -- the 3.2-inch Optimus L3II, 4.0-inch Optimus L5II and 4.3-inch Optimus L7II -- all feature a "comfortable contour with laser-etched details in a slim unibody design."
What Else You Need To Know
- The 15-million-sales mark won't make LG the world's top selling smartphone vendor as the Samsung Galaxy S 3 alone sold 40 million units in about 8 months.
- LG sold the first-generation L series smartphones in more than 50 countries, including with Canadian carriers Koodo, Rogers, Chatr and Fido.
- The second-generation Optimus L-branded handsets will feature new design elements, including seamless layout, laser cut contour, radiant rear design and smart LED Lighting on the home button.
- The Optimus L7 II dual would be the first to launch, starting from Russia, and would be rolled to other markets gradually.
- LG is no one-hit-wonder as its Optimus G and Nexus 4 (co-developed with Google) have also surpassed expectations.
LG plans to capitalize on this L Series "momentum" heading into the Barcelona, so look for more preening and pronouncements.- Michelle Fitzsimmons , Tech Radar
- LG boasts about 15M sales of Optimus L Series
- Fone Arena
- LG Optimus L Series smartphone sales surpass 15 million units globally
- LG Optimus L Series phone sales pass 15 million units worldwide
- LG sells 15 million mobile phones
- LG touts 15 million Optimus L Series phones sold like so many refrigerators
- Mobile Syrup
- LG: We sold an “Optimus L Series device every second over the past two months,” brings total to 15 million
- LG Optimus L Series Sells 15 Million Units