Book retailer Barnes & Noble introduced a 7-inch Nook HD and a 9-inch Nook HD+ that are packaged to rival top low cost tablets Google Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD. The Nook HD features the highest quality display in the 7-inch category with a 1440 x 900 pixel resolution at 243 ppi (Nexus 7 just has 216 ppi) and, at 315 grams, is lighter than the Nexus 7 (340g) and the Kindle Fire HD (395 grams). The Nook HD+ claims to be the lightest full HD tablet ever invented, weighing just 515 grams (iPad 3 weighs 652 grams) and packs a resolution of 1920 x 1280 at 256 ppi (in line with new iPad's 264 ppi Retina display). The second-generation Nooks though still run on the one-year-old Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (Nexus 7 already has the newer Jelly Bean), are powered by dual-core processors (Nexus 7 has quad-core processor), have no access to Google Play (B&N own app store instead), have no GPS and any front or rear camera on board.
What Else You Need To Know
- The HD and the HD+ will be available in the U.S. and UK late October. The Nook HD will be priced at $199 (8GB of storage) and $229 (16GB) while the HD+ costs $269 (16GB) and $299 (32GB).
- The new tablets also feature soft-touch backs and good-sized plastic bezels, come in gray or white (HD model), are powered by a 1.3/1.5 GHz OMAP 4470 dual-core processor with 1 GB of RAM, have 8/16/32 GB of storage, run on a customized Android software that's reading-focused, have access to Nook Video Store, are ad-free, and have exclusive features like multiple profiles, a scrapbook option, zoom to panel mode, and read and record and page turning features for ebooks.
- B&N only announced Wi-Fi-only models and didn't disclose plans of 3G/4G-ready models.
This is B&N's frontline offensive against Amazon, as well as the rush of smaller tablets muscling in on the turf it tried to stake out. Does it have a chance? After spending a little time with it, well, maybe.- Kyle Wagner, Gizmodo
The 9-inch NOOK HD+ is half the price of the new iPad, and each version has a superb display which looks great both in reading books and playing video.- Chris Davies, SlashGear
- Good E-Reader
Barnes and Noble Locks up Dixons for Nook UK Distribution
The company is doing its very best to insure that the first major debut of e-readers and eBooks gets into as many retail spaces as possible. They know that having your products visible, for people to play with, is essential.
- Good E-Reader
- Barnes & Noble Partners with Sainsbury’s for Nook eReaders
Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ 9-inch tablet pictures and hands-on
The 16GB Wi-Fi version (there is no 3G or 4G model) will retail for $229 ($170 less than an equivalent iPad), while the 32GB Wi-Fi model will cost $269 ($210 less than an equivalent iPad). They're very attractive propositions in a time of austerity.
Barnes & Noble Nook HD 7-inch tablet pictures and hands-on
Apps is a closed system and there's no Google Play, but this is something shared by the Kindle Fire HD, so standard for market.
Barnes & Noble announces Nook HD+ 9-inch tablet, we go hands-on (video)
The Nook HD+ is a far more significant upgrade, even as it pays a little tribute to its predecessors.
Barnes & Noble's Nook HD 7-inch Android tablet, hands-on (video)
When Amazon announced the release of the Kindle Fire HD and all of its many variants, there was little question that Barnes & Noble had something waiting in the wings as well.
Nook HD Hands On: Is Having the Best Display Enough?
This is B&N's frontline offensive against Amazon, as well as the rush of smaller tablets muscling in on the turf it tried to stake out. Does it have a chance? After spending a little time with it, well, maybe.
- Barnes & Nobile announces two HD tablets, the Nook HD and HD+
- Barnes & Noble fires back at Amazon with new Nook HD and HD+ tablets, starting at $199
- Hands-On With B&N’s 7″ Nook HD, 9″ Nook HD+: The Fire HD Better Watch Its Back
Barnes & Noble’s two new tablets want to help you find your next book
The Nook HDs clearly aren’t in the the same category as the iPad, but they’re also in the same range as a bunch of other budget tablets, and Nook devices haven’t been as popular as Kindles.
B&N NOOK HD and HD+ revealed: We go hands-on!
The 9-inch NOOK HD+ is half the price of the new iPad, and each version has a superb display which looks great both in reading books and playing video. Given the likelihood of a single tablet being shared among multiple family users, the profile support is great – and something which has long been requested for rival tablets.
Barnes & Noble opens fire at Amazon with new NOOK HD, NOOK HD+ tablets (hands-on)
The low-cost tablet space is heating up ahead of what many expect to be an October unveiling of Apple’s (AAPL) much rumored iPad mini, and two new entries into this competitive space have just been announced
- Barnes & Noble Enters Big Tablet Market with Nook HD+ [HANDS ON]
- All About Symbian
NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ tablets take on Kindle Fire HD
If you’re short of ideas on what to read, meanwhile, there are curated channels put together by B&N’s head booksellers in the US and UK, and updated daily with new themed ebooks and, eventually, apps.
Barnes & Noble’s 2 New Nook Tablets Take On Both Amazon and Apple
Pre-orders for the Nook HD and Nook HD+ will begin online and in Barnes & Noble stores on Wednesday.
- Barnes & Noble takes aims at Amazon, Apple with HD Nook tablets
- The Wall Street Journal
- Barnes & Noble to Offer Upgraded Nook Tablets
- Good E-Reader
Barnes and Noble Announces The NOOK HD and HD+
To take advantage of the improved screen resolution, Barnes & Noble is launching Nook Video. You can think of it as competition to Amazon Instant Video.
Barnes & Noble's new Nook HD and HD+ tablets: exclusive video
Barnes & Noble says it wants to focus on the reading experience with both devices, although it does so in different ways for each.
- Android Central
- Barnes and Noble introduce 7" Nook HD and 9" Nook HD+
Barnes & Noble Announces New Nook HD Tablets With Profiles For Multi-User Families
The biggest news out of Barnes & Noble’s new Nook HD 7-inch and Nook HD+ 9-inch tablet is not that the devices now support HD resolutions and are among the more affordable HD slates on the market based on Google’s Android OS, but that Barnes & Noble, like rival Amazon, has added some custom software to the Nook to make them unique.
- Barnes & Noble hits the UK, launches Nook Simple Touch, Glowlight and a pair of HD tablets
- Expert Reviews
- Barns & Noble reaches the UK, launches Nook eReaders and tablets
- Barnes & Noble Nook lands in Currys, PC World and Sainsbury's stores, furthers the UK conquest
- Barnes & Noble Announces New 7 Inch Nook HD and 9 inch Nook HD+; Prices Starting From $200
- Tech Radar
First Impressions: Nook HD 7-inch tablet
Barnes and Noble will look to upgrade the new Nook tablets with the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update at the beginning of next year, ensuring the devices stay competitive in the market.
- Tech Radar
First Impressions: Nook HD+ 9-inch tablet
Although the Nook HD+ doesn't mirror the design of the iPad and Kindle Fire as much, it's still a big, black chunk of a tablet.
- Tech Radar
- Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets launched
- Chip Chick
- Barnes & Noble Introduce Nook HD and Nook HD+ Tablets
Barnes & Noble takes on Amazon with ad-free and light Nook HD
As Barnes & Noble put it, “customers can enjoy their favorite content and personal photos, not annoying ads as with Amazon’s tablets.” This makes the “always ad-free NOOK tablets” better value than Amazon’s, which charges customers an additional $15 to remove the ads.
- Barnes & Noble unveils new 7-Inch Nook HD and 9-Inch Nook HD+
- Best eBook Readers
NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ Launched
These NOOKs offer quality screens, lighter weights, and a custom Android skin.
- Barnes and Noble unveils the NookHD and Nook HD+
- Barnes and Noble announces HD Nook tablet duo to take on Nexus 7 & iPad
- B&N CEO: We Hit a ‘Wow Price Point’ With $269 Nook HD+ [VIDEO]
- Barnes & Noble goes with the family plan on new Nook HD tablets
- Barnes & Noble Nook HD, HD+ vs. Nook Tablet: what's changed?
- Hands-on with B&N’s Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets
- Nook takes on Kindle and Kobo in UK: pricing and timing revealed
- TabletPC Review
- Barnes & Noble Attacks Amazon's Kindle Fire HD with NOOK HD and NOOK HD+
- Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ Compared With iPad, Kindle Fire HD [CHART]
- Into Mobile
- Barnes & Noble Announces Nook HD, Nook HD+, and Simple Touch Tablets
- NOOK HD and the B&N ecosystem gamble