Microsoft is looking to buy Nook Media LLC, the division of Barnes & Noble that includes both the Nook tablet as well as its e-book business. Internal documents obtained by TechCrunch confirm that Microsoft is offering up to $1 billion to buy the Nook's digital assets. Microsoft already owns an 18% interest in Nook Media, which it acquired with a $300 million investment in late 2012. A product roadmap reveals plans by B&N to discontinue the Nook hardware by the end of fiscal year 2014, focusing instead on selling digital content to third-party tablet devices.
What Else You Need To Know
- Notwithstanding the focus on software, Microsoft may still sell Nook-branded hardware as under the terms of the offer, the Windows 8 manufacturer would gain control over Nook "e-books, as well as Nook e-readers and tablets."
- Microsoft launched its own Surface-branded, Windows 8-running tablets in the fourth quarter of 2012 but sales have been modest.
The Nook brand as a whole has been struggling in recent quarters.- Lisa Eadicicco, LAPTOP Mag
- Venture Beat
- Microsoft offering $1B for Nook’s digital media and tablet business: report
- WM Power User
- Report: Microsoft Planning To Buy Nook Media For $1 Billion
- Mobile Crunch
- Reports: Facebook Is Buying Social Mapping/Traffic App Waze For Up To $1B To Court Mobile Users
- Microsoft said to be considering $1 billion Nook Media buyout
- Microsoft could splash $1 billion on Nook Media assets
- Best eBook Readers
- Microsoft Buying NOOK for $1B?
- Microsoft may be willing to take Nook off Barnes & Noble’s hands for $1 billion
- Report: Microsoft Eyes Barnes & Noble Nook Business for $1 Billion
- Microsoft Rumored to Buy Nook Media and E-readers for $1 Billion
- TabletPC Review
- Microsoft Reportedly Offering $1 Billion for Barnes & Noble's Nook Media
- Why Microsoft Might Spend $1B On Nook: E-Books Could Solve Its App Problem
- Into Mobile
- Microsoft looking to buy Nook digital assets from Barnes and Noble for $1B
- Tech Radar
- Internal document reveals $1B Microsoft offer for Nook maker