Facebook is rolling out an update to its Messenger app that will allow Facebook friends to call each other free of charge. The Messenger app will get a new button that will allow audio calling over a Wi-Fi or data connection. The catch is that the new service is only available for now in the U.S. and Canada and currently works only on iPads, iPhones and other iOS devices. The world's number one social network is expected to unleash the voice calling feature for Android and Windows phones soon.
What Else You Need To Know
- Users can simply call someone by selecting that person's name in Messenger, tap the "i" button, and then press "Make free call," and the person receiving the call will receive a push notification saying their friend is calling them.
- Unlike the more established VoIP services Skype and Apple's FaceTime Facebook Messenger doesn't currently provide video calling.
- he new features for Facebook Messenger for iOS will arrive automatically and requires no update through the App Store.
We just tested the feature and the call quality was amazing over WiFi. This is a great move by Facebook.- Dylan Love, Business Insider
This is a pretty handy feature for users of the social network, especially since unlike with Skype, Viber or other VoIP calling apps, you already likely have a wide network of contacts you’d actually want to have live voice conversations with built-in and ready to go on Facebook- Darrell Etherington, Mobile Crunch
- Business Insider SAI
Now You Can Make Free Phone Calls Through Facebook's Messenger App (FB, MSFT)
We just tested the feature and the call quality was amazing over WiFi. This is a great move by Facebook.
- Mobile Crunch
- Facebook Rolls Out VoIP Calling To U.S. iOS Messenger Users
- iPhone Hacks
- Facebook Rolling Out Messenger VoIP to U.S. Users
US iPhone users can now make free calls through Facebook
Facebook began testing the service in Canada a few weeks ago. Users do not need to update the app; the new feature will show up automatically.
- Facebook starts turning on free voice calls for iPhone users in the US
- iPhone Download Blog
- Facebook begins rolling out free Messenger VoIP feature to the US
- Phone Scoop
- Facebook Enables Free VoIP Calling from iPhones
- Facebook Messenger Now Offers Free Phone Calls for U.S. iPhone Users
- Facebook Messenger app brings free voice calling to U.S. iPhone users
- Facebook extends Messenger voice calls to US
- Facebook Messenger Makes Free Calls to Any Facebook Friend on Your iPhone
- Android Community
Facebook shuns Android, launches free calling for iOS users
One thing worth noting is you don’t need a calling plan at all. This works on iPod’s, iPad’s and would work on all of our Android tablets too as long as they have a microphone.
- Facebook Messenger VoIP audio calling comes to the U.S.
- Facebook Messenger Bringing Free Voice Calling To iPhones in The U.S.
- Facebook Unveils Free Voice Calls for U.S. iPhone Owners
- Everything iCafe
- Facebook App Now Allows Free Calls In US for iPhone Users
- Digital Trends
- Facebook Messenger brings free calling feature to U.S. iPhones
- Free Calls via Facebook?