Apple is cutting shipment of the 7.9-inch iPad mini by between 10 to 12 million units into the second quarter, according to DigiTimes, citing multiple industry sources. The 20% production cuts suggest that Apple already is working on a second-generation iPad mini. Lower-than expected sales are unlikely to blame as market research firm NPD expects the iPad mini to be the market leader this year, although strong sales of Apple's most affordable tablet is cannibalizing sales of the 9.7-inch iPad. The second-generation iPad mini is expected to be released sometime in the third quarter.
What Else You Need To Know
- With the release of the $329 iPad mini and the popularity of the $199 Nexus 7 and Amazon Kindle Fire tablets in the market, Apple cut shipment projections of its $499 full-sized iPad from 60 million units to just 33 million this year.
- Taipei Times, citing NPD DisplaySearch Greater China region vice president David Hsieh, reports that Innolux would replace Samsung as supplier for touch panels for the iPad mini.
- DigiTimes also reported that Apple will move away from rival Samsung and instead rely on components from LG Display, Sharp, Japan Display and AU Optronics for the iPad mini.
Apple's iPad Mini is still selling well, and Apple actually bumped its orders for the Mini earlier in the year.- Jay Yarow, Business Insider
Apple isn't in the habit of releasing detailed sales data when it doesn't suit its needs, but that could indicate that the iPad mini isn't selling as well as the iPhone maker had hoped.- Michael Rougeau, TechRadar
- Apple Insider
- Rumor: Apple to cut iPad mini shipments by up to 20% in Q2, may signal next-gen model
- Apple iPad Mini 2 preparation underway as iPad Mini shipments wind down?
- Phone Arena
- Apple to cut shipments of the Apple iPad mini by 20% in advance of a new model?
- iPhone Download Blog
- Apple reportedly cutting iPad mini shipments next quarter, new model coming?
- iPhone Help
- Apple Cuts Shipments Of iPad Mini for Q2 2013
- iPhone In Canada Blog
- Rumour: Apple Has Cut iPad mini Shipments for Q2 2013
- Apple rumored to cut iPad mini shipments with next-generation model on the way
- Business Insider SAI
- Apple Cuts iPad Mini Orders For Q2, Says DigiTimes (AAPL)
- iPhone Hacks
- Apple Reportedly Cuts iPad mini Shipments by 20% For Q2 2013
- Apple Reportedly Prepping for iPad mini 2 Release in Fall
- Phones Review
- iPad mini 2 likely Q3 release reinforced
- Suppliers Claim 2nd Gen iPad mini Ready to Ship by 3Q13
- Apple Insider
- Apple said to drop Samsung, turn to Innolux for iPad mini displays
- Apple Cuts iPad Mini Shipments for Q2 2013, Preparing for Second Gen Slate?
- Apple reportedly dropping Samsung for iPad mini displays
- Phone Arena
- NPD: Innolux to replace Samsung for Apple iPad mini displays
- Tech Radar
- If Apple really cut iPad mini shipments, is the mini 2 or poor sales to blame?