Facebook is now aiming to woo more Android smartphone owners, not with the mythical Facebook phone, but with a native app. Android phone and tablet users can now download at the Google Play Store a Facebook app that now launches the app, refreshes the timeline and open photos twice as fast. Instead of a native code, the prior version relied on an HTML 5-based web viewer which caused the sluggish performance of the app.
What Else You Need To Know
- Facebook's original Android app has earned more than 1 million 1-star reviews due to its sluggishness and other issues.
- The changes to Facebook 2.0 are mostly under the hood as the app retains the original interface.
There's much improved memory efficiency and garbage collection to ensure that the performance is right in line with the updated iOS application which shipped a few months ago.- Dhruv Bhutani, Fone Arena
Just like the Facebook guys promised, going full-blown native Android has made a world of difference, bringing forth an app that’s lighting quick and responsive.- Chris Chavez, Phandroid
- Phone Scoop
- Facebook Revs Up Android App with Native Code
- Android Police
- Facebook's Big 2.0 Update Is Coming Today, Ditching The Slow HTML5 Rendering For Native Code
- Android Guys
- Facebook 2.0 Android app brings the speed
- It’s Finally Here: Facebook Announces (Native) Facebook For Android 2.0
- Android Community
- Facebook for Android v2.0 update claims to be twice as fast
- Venture Beat
- Facebook finally releases rebuilt Android app with faster performance
- Fone Arena
Facebook for Android goes native, Now twice as fast
There's much improved memory efficiency and garbage collection to ensure that the performance is right in line with the updated iOS application which shipped a few months ago.
- Facebook’s native Android app launching today, will bring big speed improvements
- Mobile Burn
- Facebook Android app ditches HTML5 and is twice as fast in version 2.0
- Droid Life
- Facebook 2.0 Announced for Android – It’s Native, Faster, and Completely Rebuilt
- Mobile Syrup
Facebook for Android goes native, gets speed bump and some new features
While the app itself doesn’t look very different to its HTML5 counterpart, Facebook promises twice the speed when scrolling through the news feed, loading timelines and browsing photos. Like on iOS, Facebook for Android now shows a banner at the top of the screen when the news feed is updated in real time.
Facebook for Android Just Got a Lot Faster
The social network announced Version 2.0 of its Android app Thursday, which makes Facebook for Android completely native, and a great deal faster in the process.
- Native Facebook App Is Live In The Play Store, Not As Great As You’d Think
- Facebook Android app gets update, faster load times
- Phone Arena
- Facebook native Android app now live and twice as fast
- Digital Trends
- Facebook Android app drops HTML5 and rolls out rebuilt native app
- Facebook for Android Now Native, Twice As Fast
New Facebook update live on Google Play – Here’s an old vs new comparison [VIDEO]
Just like the Facebook guys promised, going full-blown native Android has made a world of difference, bringing forth an app that’s lighting quick and responsive.
- iPhone Hacks
- Facebook For iOS Updated: Faster Loading and Upload to Specific Album
- iPhone Download Blog
- Facebook app updated with several speed improvements
- Facebook for iPhone now lets you choose which album when uploading photos
- Facebook 2.0 Brings Native Code Speed Improvements To Android
- Facebook for Android goes native