Apple will release not one, not two, but three new iPhone models this year, according to reporting by a single source, the China Times. The report supposedly claims that Apple will be launching in June the next-generation iPhone, a low-cost model, and a large-format device with a 4.8-inch screen dubbed the iPhone Math. A next generation iPhone -- likely named the iPhone 6 -- is a given because Apple's has been releasing one new handset every year, but the talk about the two additional models must be taken with a grain of salt, according to news sites.
What Else You Need To Know
- There have been previous reports from reputable sites The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg News that Apple is releasing this year a low-cost handset in addition to the high-end iPhone 6 but a key Apple exec has denied the plans.
- Apple's chief rival, Samsung, in addition to releasing flagship Galaxy S phones, has been offering 5-inch phablet devices (the Galaxy Note series).
It would seem at present there are a lot of rumours indicating that Apple plans to release more than one smartphone in 2013 in order to compete with growing rivals such as Samsung and to claw back market share from Android.- Paul Briden, Know Your Mobile
The rapid release cycle with aggressive shifts in hardware simply does not make sense given Apple’s past iPhone and other product release cycles.- Mark Gurman, 9to5 Mac
- Apple Insider
- Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June
- iPhone In Canada Blog
Apple Rumoured to Launch iPhone 5S, 4.8-inch ‘iPhone Math’ by June?
As for a larger 4.8-inch model dubbed ‘iPhone Math’? The name sounds unorthodox and something Apple would never use. If indeed true though, it would be interesting how another screen resolution would affect developers, as Apple has been cautious to reduce the impact of new screen resolutions with the launch of new hardware.
- 9to5 Mac
4.8-inch iPhone ‘Math’ reports don’t add up
As we all know, Apple carefully selects its device screen-sizes, choosing only to move the iPhone to a taller, not wider display so it is still easily usable with one-hand. This jump from the 3.5-inch iPhone screen size to 4-inches in the iPhone 5 also required developers to tweak or redesign their App Store apps in order to provide a complete experience for users.
- iPhone Hacks
Rumor: Apple To Launch 4.8-Inch iPhone in June
Phones with screens larger than 5 inches (diagonal) are often called “phablets” as they’re larger than phones, but smaller than tablets. While it seems quite awkward to use the device as a phone, they seem to be quite popular with consumers lately.
- Phone Arena
- Report: Three new Apple iPhone variants coming in 2013, including 4.8 inch model
- iPhone Download Blog
- Apple rumored to unveil ‘iPhone Math’ with 4.8-inch display in June
- iPhone Freakz
- Apple to Announce 4.8-Inch “iPhone Math” in June?
- Know Your Mobile
- ‘iPhone Math’ rumoured as 4.8-inch model arriving June
- Digital Trends
- Three new iPhone models rumored for 2013, including the bizarre 4.8-inch iPhone Math
- iPhone Alley
- Apple Expected to Deliver 4.8-inch ‘iPhone Math’ Phablet [Rumor]
- iPhone Heat
- Apple Rumored to Launch 4.8-Inch ‘iPhone Math’ in June
- iPhone Buzz
- Rumor suggests next iPhone could be called the iPhone Math?
- Could iPhone 6 be iPhone Math? Apple rumoured to add to iPhone 5S launch with 4.8-inch device
- Phones Review
- 4.8-inch iPhone Math doesn’t add up
- Apple reportedly prepping 4.8-inch iPhone for June debut
- Apple May Be Working on a 4.8-Inch iPhone
- Trusted Reviews
- iPhone 5S release date to be paired with 4.8-inch iPhone Math launch?