Apple's decision to replace Google's mapping service with an error-plagued native app is causing motorists to stray in dangerous terrain in Australia. Local police in Mildura, Australia, have issued warnings after faulty directions from Apple Maps placed a number of travelers in a potentially life threatening situation. Apple Maps shows the city of Mildura as being in the middle of Murray Sunset National Park, about 70 kilometers from where it should be.
What Else You Need To Know
- Some of the travelers rescued by police have been stranded for up to 24 hours without food and water, and walked long distances through dangerous terrain to get reception.
- Apple Maps is a key addition to iOS 6, which is the built-in operating system of the iPhone 5. Owners of older devices who stuck with iOS 5 still have access to the Google Maps app.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook in September formally apologized for issues surrounding Apple Maps and recommended that iPhone and iPad owners instead use Bing, Google, or Nokia maps in the meantime.
While Apple has apologized already for the state of it's mapping system it seems what they did to fix it is not enough.- Kevin Everett, Daily Mobile
Police issue warning after Apple Maps leads drivers astray in Australian wilderness
Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura
Mildura Police warn drivers against relying on Apple iOS 6 maps
Apple replaced the previous, Google-fed iOS Maps app with in iOS 6 with a new, better looking, worse working app.
- iPhone Freakz
- Australian Police Warn Against Apple iOS 6 Mapping System Due To Safety Concerns
- Mobile Crunch
Australian Police Warn Against Apple Maps, Citing “Potentially Life Threatening” Misdirection
Apple fired the manager who oversaw the Maps team last month and many have also speculated that the October resignation of Scott Forstall, the SVP of iOS Software, was related to the furor.
- Phone Arena
- Police in Australia say Apple Maps is potentially life-threatening
- Apple Insider
- Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian police
- Daily Mobile
Apple’s iOS 6 Maps are so Bad It’s Considered Dangerous to It’s Users In Australia
While Apple has apologized already for the state of it's mapping system it seems what they did to fix it is not enough.
- Apple iOS 6 Maps warning from Australian police
- Expert Reviews
- Apple iOS 6 maps warnings issued by Australian police
- The Inquirer
- Australian travellers are warned off Apple Maps
- iPhone Download Blog
- Australian police issue warning regarding Apple Maps
- iPhone Help
- Apple’s iOS 6 Maps Runs Into Trouble In Australia
- Apple Maps classed as life-threatening by Australian police
- WM Power User
- Australian Police Warns Apple iOS 6 Maps As A Potentially Life Threatening Issue
- iPhone Buzz
Australian police slam Apple Maps, Apple multitouch patent may be invalid, Scout GPS app
According to Australian police officers and correct navigation data has left six people stranded after they mistakenly ended up inside of a national park. The police say if it was a cold 45-degree day people can actually die.
- Mobile Orchard
Australian Police warn drivers not to follow Apple Maps directions
Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the Park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees, making this a potentially life threatening issue.
- Mobile Burn
- iPhone users urged to "be careful" following Apple Maps because of life-threatening mistake in Australia
- Australian Police Advises Motorists Against Using Apple Maps
- iPhone Heat
- Australian Police Warns Drivers Against Using Apple iOS 6 Maps
- The Loop
- Australian police warn tourists not to use iOS 6 Maps
- Apple’s iOS Maps app is so bad it can kill you, Australian police warn
- Legit Reviews
- Police in Australia Urge Public To Stop Using Apple Maps!
- iOS 6 Maps stranding Australian drivers, police say
- Apple Maps’ bad directions called out as public safety issue in Australia
- Trusted Reviews
- Police warn against using Apple Maps in Australia
- iPhone Hacks
- Citing Safety Issues, Australian Police Warns Against Use of Apple’s iOS 6 Maps
- Everything iCafe
- Australian Police Issue Warning About iOS 6 Maps After Rescues
- Venture Beat
- Apple Maps issues get dangerous in Australia: Police warn it’s stranding motorists
- Business Insider SAI
- Australian Police Are Worried People Could Die If They Use Apple Maps (AAPL)
- Aussie Police Say Apple Maps May Be Dangerous To Your Health
- Apple Maps Could Kill You, Australian Police Warn
- Beta News
- Apple Maps guides Australian motorists into ‘life threatening’ situation
- Apple Maps 'Life Threatening,' Say Australian Police
- Apple Maps glitch may be 'life threatening'
- Australian town relocated into desolate parkland, per iOS 6 Maps
- Australian police warn against using Apple Maps application
- Apple Fixes Maps Snafu Dubbed 'Potentially Life-Threatening' by Police
- Into Mobile
- Australian police tell iPhone users not to rely on Apple maps
- Australian Police Warn, ‘Please Don’t Use Apple Maps App’
- Droid Life
- Australian Police: Using Apple Maps Could Be Fatal
- Mobile Magazine
- Apple Maps Could Be “Potentially Life Threatening”