Apple has ordered 10 million initial units of the miniature iPad, the Wall Street Journal reported. The smaller iPad, dubbed the iPad mini, is expected to have a 7.85-inch display, a lower resolution than the iPad 3's highly touted 2048 x 1536 Retina resolution display, a nano-SIM tray for 3G or 4G LTE connectivity, and would be cheaper than the entry-level iPad. The full-sized iPad, which has 9.7-inch of display, is priced starting at $499 while the top budget 7-inch tablets, the Google Nexus 7 and the Amazon Kindle Fire HD, are sold starting at $199.
What Else You Need To Know
- Apple sold 17 million iPads in the quarter ended June 30, 2012, and a total of 84 million units since the original iPad was launched in 2010. Apple has been the top seller of tablets in the past two years.
- The 10 million units of the iPad mini ordered by Apple is double the roughly double the size of the order placed by Amazon for its Kindle Fire HD tablets in the same quarter. Amazon emerged as the second largest seller of tablets this year with the success of the first generation Kindle Fire.
Apple hasn’t confirmed any of the myriad reports, rumours and speculation it’s planning to make a smaller iPad, so the existence of the device remains unconfirmed.- Natasha Lomas, Tech Crunch
Unless we've all been victims of an enormous and elaborate hoax, the iPad mini is expected to launch this month and be ready in time for Christmas.- Rik Henderson, Pocket-lint
iPad Mini: Apple Orders More Than 10 Million Units For Q4, Says WSJ
Apple hasn’t confirmed any of the myriad reports, rumours and speculation it’s planning to make a smaller iPad, so the existence of the device remains unconfirmed.
More than 10 million iPad mini tablets ordered by Apple
Last week, Pocket-lint reported that the internet was awash with rumours that the 7.85-inch tablet would be announced on either the 17 or 18 October, based on the fact that a source claimed that the official press invites for Apple's announcement event would be arriving on 10 October.
- Chip Chick
- Apple Reportedly Orders 10 Million iPad Mini Tablets For Q4 2012
- PC Advisor
- Apple places order for 10 million iPad Minis
- Android Central
Apple reportedly orders 10 million iPad mini’s ready for fourth quarter release
Apple already owns the majority of the tablet space with the current iPad but there is definitely a small chunk of that market looking for a slightly smaller or cheaper tablet; especially if it comes with all the features of the current iPad
- 10 Million iPad Mini Tablets Ordered by Apple for Q4 Launch
- 10m iPad mini on order tip sources
- Buzz builds for iPad mini as Apple orders 10m units
- Apple reportedly ordering 10 million iPad minis for Q4 2012
- Apple Orders 10 Million iPad Minis [REPORT]
iPad Mini Orders Top 10 Million Says WSJ
iPad Mini production is reportedly underway in Brazil, but supply constraints may leave launch supply limited. Users looking to buy an iPad Mini at launch should plan to pre-order the iPad Mini if Apple offers one.
Apple Has Ordered Components For 10 Million iPad Mini Units, Reveal Suppliers
Apple is rumored to introduce the smaller iPad later this month at a dedicated media event.
WSJ: Apple has ordered 10 million iPad minis
That's interesting, depending how much faith you put into "some component suppliers" as sources of Apple news. The Journal reports that Apple hasn't responded to requests for further information. Well, yeah.
- Apple Supply Chain Set to Build More than 10M iPad Minis for Launch
- You Can Already Buy an iPad Mini Screen Protector
- iPad Mini Predicted to Push Overall iPad Sales Past 30 Million This Holiday Season
- TabletPC Review
- Apple Expecting Big Things from the iPad Mini