Sharp has drastically cut production of 9.7-inch iPad mini screens. Reuters' sources didn't say how much of the slowdown was due to seasonal changes in demand or consumers opting for the smaller iPad mini. Apple last year broke tradition by unveiling a second full-sized iPad in the same year, and unveiling the iPad mini for the first time. The 7.9-inch iPad mini is $179 cheaper than the $499 fourth-generation iPad.
What Else You Need To Know
- Apple sold 3 million units of the iPad mini and the fourth-generation iPad in the first weekend of sales in November while the third-generation iPad alone sold 3 million units in its first three days.
It’s always difficult to interpret Apple’s supply chain moves, given that the company is so secretive and also because it relies on multiple vendors for components.- GigaOM, Kevin C. Tofel
A drawdown in component orders for the iPad could also be a sign that Apple is preparing to launch a new model.- Sam Oliver, Apple Insider
- Phone Arena
Sharp cutting iPad screen production to a minimum as iPad mini sales take over
Sharp has cut the screen production for the full size iPad screen in its Kameyama plant to the minimal levels needed to keep the conveyor belts running, Reuters sources have indicated.
- iPhone Hacks
Report Claims Sharp Has Slowed Production Of 9.7-Inch iPad Screens
Analyst have forecasted that the iPad mini could cannabalize the bigger iPad sales by 20%.
Sharp cuts iPad display production. Will iPad mini be the bigger hit?
But, as I’ve suggested for over two years: portability is a feature of devices and the iPad mini is easier to use and carry around in more scenarios, something the consumer market is now aware of.
- Sharp cuts iPad display production to minimum levels
- Apple Insider
Sharp cuts production of 9.7" iPad screens, demand may be shifting to Apple's iPad mini
The report of iPad panel orders being slashed at Sharp comes as Apple has already been hit with rumors that the company has drastically cut iPhone 5 component orders in response to weakening demand.
- Sharp production of 9.7-inch iPad screens 'nearly halted'
- iPhone Download Blog
Sharp said to be cutting production of 9.7-inch iPad screens
It’s not clear how much of the slowdown is due to seasonal changes in demand, or cannibalization, thanks to a rising consumer interest in Apple’s iPad mini.
- iPhone In Canada Blog
- Sharp to Reduce iPad Screen Production to Minimal Levels
- Everything iCafe
- Report: Sharp Cuts iPad Screen Orders as Attention Shifts to iPad mini
- Sharp slows production of 9.7in iPad screens
- Trusted Reviews
- Sharp slows 9.7-inch iPad screen production due to iPad mini demand
- Android Central
- Sharp production of iPad retina displays may be halting to a stop