Since its merger with T-Mobile in 2012, MetroPCS has gained a reputation as the prepaid provider for those that love to stream. From plans with unmetered music streaming to unlimited prepaid plans, they offer some of the largest data allowances of all US prepaid providers.
All plans through MetroPCS are contract-free and prepaid. Plans range between $30 and $60 per month before add-ons. Adding multiple lines to a single account also brings a discout of $5 per line, per month.
If you need a phone, their options range from entry level options to the latest flagships. However, you won’t find the device financing available from bigger carriers. If you already have an unlocked phone you love, their SIMs make switching providers simple.
- Unlimited Data: Enjoy up to 28GB of 4G LTE data and throttled speeds afterward during periods of network congestion. For $10 more per month, you can add 8GB of tethering data as well.
- Unlimited Music Streaming: Enjoy your favorite streaming music, including Spotfiy, iHeart Radio, Slacker and more than 30 other services, without worrying about data limits.
- Data Maximizer: Enabling this feature reduces the quality of streaming video and audio to help you make the most of your data allotment.
- Family Plans: For each line you add to your plan, you’ll enjoy a $5 discount off your monthly bill.
Awards and Recognitions
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
MetroPCS uses the same network as their parent company, T-Mobile. They claim their 4G LTE network covers 98% of Americans.
Data from OpenSignal breaks down T-Mobile network types as follows:
- 88% LTE (4G)
- 23% HSPA+ (4G)
- 5% UMTS (3G)
- 5% HSPA (3G)
You can check coverage and network types in your area at the Coverage Map page.
According to OpenSignal’s crowdsourced data, 4G download speeds on the network average 11.2Mbits per second. Uploads come in at 7.3Mbits per second. On the older 3G network, downloads clocked in at 2.4Mbits per second on average with uploads reaching only 0.7Mbits per second.
Additional data from PC Magazine’s 2016 US study, “Fastest Mobile Networks,” rated 4G download speeds at 19.88Mbits per second and uploads at 18.02Mbits per second--the fastest upload average in the nation.
Ookla’s “US SpeedTest Market Report” showed similar findings with MetroPCS tying Verizon for first place in download speeds (21.02Mbits per second) and leading upload speeds (11.59Mbits per second) by a healthy margin.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
You won’t need to worry about roaming within the United States.
If you’re traveling, MetroPCS’ TravelTalk coverage areas offer low-cost roaming. However, roaming is limited. After activating TravelTalk, texting is free and voice calls are $0.19 per minute.
You can also add the Mexico or Canada Unlimited add-ons to your plan to use your existing minutes, data and texts instead of per-minute rates for $5 per month.
The World Calling add-on further expands options, allowing you to use up to 200 minutes and 200MB of data in more than 20 countries.
For more information, consult their Unlimited International Long Distance Terms and Conditions.
Do They Charge Long Distance Fees?
For all plans, domestic calls within the US, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are always included with your monthly voice allotment.
If you plan to call abroad, you can use the Mexico ar Canada Unlimited add-ons mentioned above or their $10 World Calling add-on. This add-on adds unlimited calls to landlines in more than 75 countries and 200 minutes to mobiles in 40 countries.
You can find more about specific calling rates and options on their Add-Ons page.
Can I Tether My Phone?
Yes! You can tethering using your monthly data allotment. For unlimited plans, you’ll find speeds reduced unless you add the $10 per month mobile hotspot add-on.
Remember to monitor usage closely while tethering as many laptops, PCs and gaming consoles use significantly more data that your mobile device.
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
MetroPCS does not support data rollover at this time.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
Outside of calling add-ons, MetroPCS offer a few options to help adjust your plan to your needs.
Popular options include:
- Napster Unlimited Music: Download or stream your favorite tracks to your phone for $10 per month.
- Premium Handset Protection Program: Enjoy virus protection and insurance coverage against accidental damage, theft or device loss for $6 per month.
- Value Bundle: Add Name ID, international texting, voicemail transcription, call forwarding and unlimited 411 use for $5 per month.
For other add-on options, consult their Add-On page.
Can I Bring My Own Device?
Yes! You can bring your own unlocked device to MetroPCS. Their universal SIM kits cost $10.
To check phone compatibility, consult their Bring Your Own Phone page.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
No! Since there’s no contracts, there’s no worry about early termination fees.
Can I Port My Number To or From MetroPCS?
Yes! MetroPCS follows all Local Number Portability requirements allowing you to bring your existing landline or mobile phone number to your new account.
General requirements include:
- The account with which the number is associated must be active and in good standing.
- The number must be in an area in which Local Number Portability regulations are in effect.
They recommend calling customer care or visiting a retail location to start the process. This ensures a smooth transition between providers.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Provided you meet unlocking requirements, they will unlock up to 2 locked phones for free in a 12-month period.
Requirements for postpaid phones include:
- The phone must be locked to the MetroPCS network
- The phone must not be reported lost, stolen or blocked.
- The account with which the phone is associated must be active and in good standing.
- The phone must be on active with MetroPCS for at least 90 days.
For additional information on the unlocking process, see their Phone Unlock Policy.
For additional questions about pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our MetroPCS Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.