What You Need to Know
Started as Working Assets Wireless in 2000, CREDO Mobile offers a unique spin on supporting social and political causes and charities. You pay each month for service and a small portion of your monthly fee goes to a cause chosen by a member-wide vote.
Service is provided using the Verizon network. Their robust coast-to-coast 4G LTE network includes rural areas other carriers don’t reach thanks to Verizon's LTE in Rural America program.
Plans are monthly only. Prices range between $30 and $65 per month, per line, based on your plan needs.
If you need a device, you’ll find no-interest financing available on a new phone or discounted phone prices with a two-year service agreement. Already have your own phone? CREDO supports a decent selection of unlocked 3G/4G phones and will even knock a few dollars off your bill each month!
- No-interest phone financing
- No-contract plans available
- Unlimited data plans available
- Bring your own device plans available
- Calling to Canada and Mexico included on many plans
- Shared data plans available
- All plans include unlimited talk and text
- Prices higher than many other smaller carriers but comparable to major carriers
Unlimited Data: As with most carriers, unlimited isn't actually unlimited. Once you exceed 20GB on a given line, speeds reduce to 64kbps--barely faster than dial-up Internet.
Shared Data Plans: Add up to 5 lines to your account to share data across devices and save on monthly plan fees.
Bring-Your-Own-Phone Discount: If you bring your own phone to CREDO, they'll waive the $20 per month line access fee.
Canada and Mexico Calling: Calls to Canada and Mexico from the U.S. are included at no additional charge with all shared data plans.
Awards and Recognitions
- Verizon ranked #1 across all divisions in J.D. Power's "U.S. Wireless Network Quality Performance Study Vol.1 (2017)".
- Verizon ranked #1 in J.D. Power’s 2016 “U.S. Wireless Network Quality Performance Study Volume 2” for the West, Southwest, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast and Southeast divisions.
- Verizon ranked #1 in the RootScore Awards for the 1st half of 2016
- Verizon tied with T-Mobile for fastest download speeds on Ookla’s 2016 “United States Speedtest Market Report”
- Verizon ranked #1 for Nationwide Speeds in PC Magazine's 2017 US "Fastest Mobile Networks" study
- Verizon awarded national winner for PC Magazine’s 2016 US study, “Fastest Mobile Networks”
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
As CREDO Mobile uses Verizon's CDMA and 4G LTE networks, we'll use their data in this section.
Verizon claim their 4G LTE network covers more than 2.3 million square miles and 98% of all Americans.
You can check coverage and network types in your area using their Coverage Map.
Verizon took first place in PC Magazine's 2018 and 2018 US "Fastest Mobile Networks" study for coverage and 4G upload and download speeds.
They ranked second in Ookla's "2018 United States SpeedTest Market Report" with a score of 26.02. This is an increase over their 2017 score of 21.13.
In OpenSignal's 2018 "State of Mobile Networks: USA," they ranked second for 4G download speeds with an average of 21Mbps and second for 4G upload speeds at an average of 7Mbps.
However, in 3G they lagged behind as the slowest of the 4 major carriers and average download speeds near 1Mbps.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
For domestic coverage, there is no need to worry about roaming. In areas without network coverage, you will see “Extended Network” displayed on your device. There is no additional charge for usage in this mode.
If you are travelling outside the US, you will incur roaming fees.
Pay-per-use rates vary by country. Common fees include:
- Voice: $0.55 to $5.99 per minute
- Text Messaging (SMS): $0.25 per sent and received text
Roaming data is not available. To use data features, you will need a SIM from a local provider or Wi-Fi access.
For rates in specific countries or more information about roaming features, consult their Using Your Phone Abroad page.
What About Long Distance Fees?
Domestic calls to landlines and mobiles in the US, Canada and Mexico are included with every plan. However, if you’re calling other countries, fees may apply.
Pay-per-use rates vary by country starting around $1.49 per minute.
If you plan to call international numbers often, you might consider taking advantage of an addon.
Their International Long-Distance Discount add-on offers drastically reduced rates for $3.99 per month.
You can find more about specific calling rates and options on the International Calling & Texting page.
Does CREDO Mobile Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
No. They do not support native Wi-Fi calling or offer a Wi-Fi calling app.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Apple officially lists CREDO as supporting VoLTE. Many of the other carriers offering service on Verizon's network also support VoLTE.
However, their website and customer care were unable to confirm support for the feature.
Can I Tether My Phone?
Yes. Tethering or using your phone as a mobile hotspot is included at no additional charge. However, any data used by devices connected through tethering counts against your monthly data allotment.
When tethering, track your data usage closely. Laptops, gaming consoles and other non-mobile electronics often consume more data than your phone or tablet will.
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
All CREDO Mobile plans include voicemail, call waiting, conference calling and access to a suite of apps to manage your account and features. If you’re looking for additional features, these are some of the most popular options:
- Mobile Protection Plan: For $5.95 to $10.95 per month, you can enjoy peace of mind with protection from phone loss, theft or damage.
- International Long Distance Discount Plan: Enjoy drastically reduced rates on international calls for a flat fee of $3.99 per month.
Can I Bring My Own Device?
Yes! Many newer unlocked GSM/4G phones with SIM support work with CREDO Mobile. General requirements include:
- The phone must not be on the ESN/MEID blacklist
- The phone must support frequencies in use by the Verizon network
- The phone must not be assigned to another Verizon account
- The phone must not be locked to another carrier network
They offer a Bring Your Own Device page--complete with phone compatibility checks--to get you started.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
Yes. At the time of writing, this is a "hard" credit check. This means the check will likely appear on your credit report.
To run the credit check, the carrier will need:
- Your name
- Current address
In some cases, a government-issued ID--such as a Driver's License, State Identification Card or Passport--is required as well.
NOTE: Credit checks from carriers that pull your credit bureau report may impact your credit score. If you're not sure the best options for your credit profile, we suggest contacting the carrier directly before attempting to obtain service.
For more information on credit check requirements and how they might affect your account, consult their Customer Agreement.
What About Activation and SIM Fees?
CREDO Mobile charges a $36 one-time activation fee for every new line of service or new device activated on your account.
To bring your own phone or tablet, you'll also need a CREDO Mobile SIM.
SIM kits are included free of charge with any Bring Your Own Phone activation.
NOTE: Fees often differ between retail stores and websites. Be sure to check both before signing up or adding a line to your account to maximize savings.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
Depending on your plan and contract, early termination fees might apply when cancelling.
CREDO Mobile’s Customer Agreement highlights the various tiers of ETF.
- Basic phones and tablets will face an ETF of $175 per line, reduced by $5 for each full month you continue your service.
- Smartphones valued at $598.99 and under will face an ETF of $375 per line, reduced by $10 for each full month you continue your service.
- Smartphones valued at $599 and higher will face an ETF of $650 per line, reduced by $20 for each full month you continue your service.
Can I Port My Number To or From CREDO Mobile?
Yes! They follow all Local Number Portability guidelines--allowing you to transfer numbers both in and out of your account.
- The accounts your are transferring to or from must be active and in good standing.
- Local Number Portability rules must apply to the areas from which you wish to transfer the number.
This service is provided for free. However, if you are porting in a number after the line of service is already activated, you might incur number changing fees. There may also be fees for porting out from your other service provider.
You can find out more information at the Carrier Guide & Porting FAQ.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Yes. In their Customer Agreement, they state:
“We will provide all unlocking services technically available to us, upon request, provided you have met the following requirements: you are a current or former CREDO customer, the account associated with the device is/was in good standing, the device has been activated on our service for at least 90 days, your contract term, device purchase, or device financing obligations have been met, and the device has not been lost or stolen. For military personnel, we'll unlock mobile phones for deployed military personnel as soon as we get a copy of the customer's deployment papers. If you would just like the international SIM slot on your device unlocked, you must be a current CREDO customer with CREDO service active on the device, and the account associated with the device must be in good standing.
We will respond to a request to unlock a CREDO device within two (2) business days (seven (7) business days for international), and either: i) take all steps available to us to unlock an eligible phone; or ii) provide you with an explanation of why we can't or why we need extra time to process your request.”
For additional questions about pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our CREDO Mobile Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.
Voice network: CDMA 1900 MHz, LTE
Data network: 1xRTT, EVDO Rev. A, LTE
101 Market St #700, San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
Review Sources and Citations
Use this product?
Help inform others by sharing your experience with CREDO Mobile